Acceptable Proof of Identity

  • Parents registering children will be asked for proof of their identity. One of the following items will serve to verify a person’s identity:

    1. US Passport (expired or unexpired)
    2. Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
    3. Certification of Naturalization (Form N-550 of N-570)
    4. Unexpired foreign passport with I-551 stamp or attached for I-94.
    5. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration (Form I-151 or I-551)
    6. Unexpired Temporary Residence Card (Form I-688)
    7. Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (Form I-688A)
    8. Unexpired Reentry Permit (Form I-327)
    9. Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)
    10. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by DHS that contains a photograph (Form I-688B).
    11. Driver’s license, learner’s permit or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.
    12. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.
    13. School ID card with a photograph
    14. Voter’s registration card
    15. U.S. Military card or draft card
    16. U.S. Military dependent ID card
    17. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
    18. Native American tribal document
    19. Driver’s license or learner’s permit issued by a Canadian government authority
    20. School record or report card (for persons under age 18)
    21. Clinic, doctor or hospital record (for persons under age 18)
    22. Day-care or nursery school record (for persons under age 18)
    23. New York State DMV Proof of Identity (form MV-45)
    24. Any four of the following
      a) a computer printed pay stub with employee ID number issued in the U.S. that shows name
      b) A high school diploma or GED issued in the U.S.
      c) A supermarket check-cashing card issued in the U.S. with name pre-printed and signature
      d) A union card issued in the U.S.
      e) A health insurance card or a medical prescription card issued in the U.S.
      f) A life insurance policy issued in the U.S. and in effect for at least two years
      g) A utility bill issued in the U.S.
      h) A Veterans Universal Access Photo ID Card
      i) A W-2 form that shows social security number
      j) A bank statement, ATM card, debit card, or valid U.S. major credit card which displays preprinted name and signature (only one of these items issued by a financial institution issued in the U.S may be used.
    25. Certified Birth Certificate or Registration of Birth (must be original or certified copy, have seal and be issued by an authorized government agency such as the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health, Hospital issued certificates are not acceptable)
    26. Military discharge or separation papers
    27. Pistol Permit with photograph
    28. Certified Adoption Papers
    29. Court Order (must contain full name, date of birth and court seal. Examples include adoption documents, name change documents, gender change documents, etc. Does not include abstract or criminal or civil conviction.)
    30. Foreign birth certificate (must be translated by approved translator)
    31. Marriage license (certified copy only)
    32. Social Security Card (laminated or metal cards are not acceptable)
    33. Department of Social Services issued photo Public Assistance Card
    34. Baptismal Certificate or similar document
    35. Divorce Decree
    36. Employee Identification from State or Federal Government with signature and photograph and/or physical description.