- Poughkeepsie City School District
- Charter School Public Hearing Notice
NOTICE OF CHARTER SCHOOL PUBLIC HEARING
The Poughkeepsie City School District has been notified that the State University of New York Board of Trustees is in receipt of an application for a charter school within the Poughkeepsie City School District. The charter school applying to establish itself in the city limits of Poughkeepsie is “Little Water Preparatory Charter School.” Access to the proposed school can be accessed here.
As part of the approval process, the Poughkeepsie City School District is required to host a public hearing and collect comments related to the application. The hearing will take place from 4 p.m.-5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 23, 2021, and will be held via the following Zoom link.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 971 5931 7906
This hearing is being held pursuant to New York State Education Law 2857(1) which states:
- “Prior to the issuance, revision, or renewal of a charter, the school district in which the charter school is located shall hold a public hearing to solicit comments from the community in connection with the foregoing.”
- “Such hearing shall be held within the community potentially impacted by the proposed charter school.”
- “In addition, such school districts shall be given an opportunity to comment on the proposed charter to the charter entity and such charter entity shall consider any comments raised and submit any such comments to the board of regents with the application for issuance, revision, or renewal of a charter.”
The New York State Board of Regents and the Poughkeepsie City School District welcome comments on the application, including those related to the programmatic and fiscal impact of the renewal proposal on public and non-public schools in the area.
If you are unable to participate in the virtual public hearing, comments may be submitted by clicking on the following link or through regular mail at District Clerk, 18 S. Perry Street, Poughkeepsie, New York, 12601.