The Poughkeepsie City School District is proud to have designated all seven of its schools as Community Schools. Community Schools are designed to bring together school and community resources to improve student success and create stronger families and healthier communities. Community Schools integrate rigorous academics, health and social services, youth and community development, and community engagement. They are intentional in providing supports, programs, information, and resources to meet the needs of students, parents, and community members.
The Poughkeepsie City School District Community School model focuses on the following five pillars: Early Learning – Pre-natal to Pre-school, Integrated Student and Family supports, High Level Community and Family Engagement, Expanded and enriched learning opportunities, and Collaborative Leadership Practice.
Executive Director of Community Schools
- Enriched academic supports
- Access to the latest technology
- Online learning opportunities
- Medical, dental, health and wellness supports and activities
- Extracurricular activities such as art, music, chess club, drill team, theater, STEM, history, language, etc.
- Physical activities and sports
- Mentoring and much more
- Parent Empowerment Centers
- Free parent workshops
- Computer and financial literacy classes
- Job readiness supports
- Parent resources and life skills training Help learning English Health and wellness resources